[CQ-Contest] WW Committee feared that some of the non-assisted hotshots would take the opportunity to drop down to the 24-hour category for the sake of an easy

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Oct 22 09:59:41 EDT 2013

Bravo, Steve!

I would just add one point.  I've been told that the 1 radio no spotting
caveats were added because some folks on the CQ Committee were concerned
that non-assisted hot-shots would drop down to the 24-hour overlay
unless these things were outlawed.  I frankly doubt this, particularly
with respect to the assisted/non-assisted angle.  However, instead of
sitting on the sidelines, it is important that supporters of the 24-hour
category enter it this year, so that we can credibly make the argument
for loosening that restriction next time.

To encourage participation, I have funded a Classic overlay/World top
score plaque for 2013.  It doesn't show up on the web site yet, but it
*is* funded, and I'm sure they'll fix that before the contest.  This is
your chance for some nice hardwood.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,