[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer, PJ2T During 2009 CQWW 160 CW

Vladimir Umanets ua9ba at mail.ru
Mon Sep 23 22:47:01 EDT 2013

What Jeff calls "an invaluable contest tool!" I call a "TOTAL DESTROYER of
CW CONTEST SKILLS".

One no longer needs to know the propagation, how to S&P most effectively,
no need for sharp short memory to tune the bands and instantly know by the
sound of signal or style of operation the call sign of a station and so on,
and so on...

Some will say to this that I am an old fart and know nothing of new technologies
and how to implement them properly. Partialy that's true and I can live with it OK.

My concern lies in a different plane. With these skimmer technologies it has become
absolutely impossible to tell by inspecting the log the difference between a
true S&P and a skimmer initiated S&P. I could see the susequencies of this effect in
a number of recent contests :-(( which is very sad news.

I know, I know. We can't stop the progress! I only pray to Gods of amateur radio
that it will take at least another decade for the smarts to develope a SSB skimmer.
So far SSB mode remains the only mode that requires true operating skills.

So,the big contest sponsors, please,keep separate the assisted and unassisted at
least in SSB mode! As for CW it no longer is needed. No way one can catch the
skimmer cheater in the post contest log checking proccess.

73, Willy UA9BA (ever since fond of CW)