[CQ-Contest] When RF is not your friend

AC0W ac0w at charter.net
Sun Apr 6 12:53:59 EDT 2014

With RFID there are many things that affect the effective range very similar
to our contest station.

On the chip side you have both active and passive systems.

As noted the toll pass system use active systems with a battery to improve
distance and speed.

On the passive systems to improve distance they imbed better antennas in the
card or device. On security systems where an RFID card is used (same size as
credit card) if you carefully peel away the protective outer plastic you
will find basically a metal foil antenna coiled around the perimeter of the
card to improve range.

On a credit card where the chip is exposed these have very small antennas to
reduce the effective range.

On the other side to increase the range takes power, larger antennas and
more sensitive receiver, QRO versus QRP.

The toll booths and ski resorts if you look carefully you will see big
powerful antennas to achieve greater distance, where as the credit card
readers are small, very portable, low power, as result effective only over
small distance.

There are security codes built into the devices to help prevent different
systems from reading other systems RFID chips. I know smart people can break
these but it is just one more step to help make it more difficult to do.

While I can't say it is impossible to do, it is very hard for someone to be
inconspicuous while reading your credit card information or passport
information with today's technology without spending a great deal of money
up front.

AC0W

Message: 4