[CQ-Contest] The two/four-point rule in WPX

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:32:57 EDT 2014

 > Of course the real problem lies behind the scoring system.

The problem is not in the scoring system.  The problem is that the
competitors do not compete on the same field - a characteristic unique
to radiosport AFAIK.  WRTC is the closest thing we have to an equal
competition and even there we encounter disparities from noise, local
topography, and ground conditions among other things.

With propagation varying so wildly from place to place, along with
unequally distributed populations and multiplier representation, it is
not possible to devise an equalized scoring system.  About the best any
scoring system can do is to compare stations with similar propagation,
either within a region or perhaps at similar geomagnetic latitudes, and
having similar distributions of population and multipliers.  Even
distance-based scoring gives false results when there is a skip zone.
As they say in New Jersey, "Fuggidaboudit!"

My suggestion has been and will continue to be the reporting of results
organized according to geographic proximity (or similarity).  Anyone can
do this - the sponsors, contest clubs, individuals.  If the contest
scoring or reporting does not make comparisons you consider valid, then
create and publish your own comparisons.  Even better, form a group of
like-minded individuals to promote and report on those comparisons
independently.  Sponsor challenges and contests-within-a-contest based
on those comparisons, then publish those results.  If your comparisons
have a wide validity, stations will compete according to those comparisons.

Ultimately, however, we all choose to compare ourselves against a group
of peers whom we select for their operating, technical, and geographic
attributes.

73, Ward N0AX