[CQ-Contest] RBN - New Servers - Betas test

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Mon Apr 28 09:03:12 EDT 2014

On 28/04/2014 13:03, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> The RBN team, with important outside help (see below), has been
> working hard to improve our Telnet feed.  Standard Telnet cluster
> servers have a lot of overhead, which can limit throughput or cause
> hard-to-diagnose bugs, so we are looking for a better solution.

I'm aware of (and I appreciate) some of the services
provided by the RBN network.  I am computer-literate
and I am a contester.

However, I do not understand how the following terms,
contained in the post, are relevant to amateur radio
contesting.

   a lot of overhead
   limit throughput
   hard-to-diagnose bugs
   two additional servers
   beta test
   reachable on port 7000
   not intended for end-users
   for connection by "retail" clusters
   end-user commands
   stable and reliable service
   future anticipated loads
   peak spot flow
   Windows-based server
   Linux-based

This is presented as if it represents progress in
contesting.  It seems to me, instead, to represent
progress in internet-hosted networking - professional
wired services that serve mainly to illustrate how far
some of us have become detached from person-to-person
contesting using ham-band RF.

Depending on your point or view, this can be good or
bad. It's beginning to look, to me, that amateur radio
is just one more cog in the internet of things.

73,
Paul EI5DI