[CQ-Contest] Wrong Categories

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 11:42:08 EST 2014

> Despite that, I always believed and I still do, that
> SOAB/SOAB(A) should be merged to eliminate one
> of the many ways cheaters have to cheat in our
> hobby and ruin it.

It's interesting to make a scatter graph of the "cloud" of Q's (on X-axis)
vs Mults (on Y-axis) of 3830 scores for a CQ-zone. Color the dots of those
who claimed assistance blue, and the dots of those who did not claim
assistance red.

The red dots in the cloud of blue? Guys who hastily filled out the 3830
form and forgot to note assistance.

The multi-step form filled out to file scores on the CQWW website, makes it
pretty hard for folks to incorrectly select the wrong category.

It can work the other way around too:
I know I once set a section record for the obscure category of
multi-op-low-power in ARRL RTTY Roundup when I goofed making the Cabrillo
and ended up claiming assistance (putting me into multi-op) when I fact I
didn't use any assistance!!! I was sure that my scrawny score would be a
throw-away, but multi-op-low-power is one of those obscure categories where
a scrawny score might be the only entry.

Tim N3QE