[CQ-Contest] WRTC 18 Qualifying

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:15:27 EST 2014

The difference in rules between WRTC2014 and WRTC2018 that struck me was
that the prior emphasis on worldwide contests while accommodating the major
regionals was abandoned.

For WRTC2014, only CQWW received full 1000 value, with CQWPX at 950 and
IARU at 900.  Major regional contests such as ARRL, Russian, WAE, AA  were
900 or less.  But for WRTC2018, instead of elevating the truly worldwide
contests -- CQWPX & IARU -- the organizers instead emphasize European
regional contests -- WAE and Russian -- both of which now get the top 1000
value.

This is a step backward from promoting worldwide competition. It elevates
two Euro-centric competitions with less participation above the more
popular worldwide contests as well as above the other major regionals such
as ARRL and AA.  Having lived in areas of the world where propagation
doesn't support full time efforts in the regionals (whether or not one can
"work anyone" but for fewer points/mults), I appreciate the truly worldwide
competitions that we have.  It says something that these rose to the top in
popularity in the free marketplace of contests.

Just my observation.

73,  Dave K3ZJ