[CQ-Contest] WRTC 18 Qualifying

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:43:27 EST 2014

Mats,

You would have a very different perspective on WAE and RDXC if you were
in my shoes. In the southwest corner of the W5 call area, we simply do
not have much propagation to Europe during the time of year that those
contests take place. Technically, RDXC is a worldwide contest, but
activity outside of Europe is very small. You talk about run rates in
RDXC ? That is a joke from here. Let me tell you an anecdote about my
one serious RDXC effort, which I needed to operate to qualify for
WRTC-2010...

Knowing that I would work very few Europeans, I focused on working
casual USA stations on SSB. These are stations who had no idea what
contest this was, and I just asked them for a signal report and QSO
number (usually #1). I was careful to NOT tell them this was the Russian
DX Contest - that would discourage many Americans from making a QSO.
These casual QSO's made up 2/3 of my total QSO's. As an added bonus,
none of these stations sent in their logs, so I had no score reduction
for unmatched exchanges. I considered this a disingenuous way of winning
a WRTC-2010 team leader slot, but that was the way the WRTC-2010
qualifying was structured, and the way the RDXC rules are written.

73,
Steve, N2IC