[CQ-Contest] [VKCC] WRTC for VK/ZL

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Thu Dec 4 23:57:12 EST 2014

Agreed and it will take some thinking to work through the anomalies.
Look at All of Africa for that matter -
Or that Oceania has over 1000 Logs every year...

To: cq-contest at contesting.com; vkcc at yahoogroups.com
From: vkcc at yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 15:53:01 +1100
Subject: [VKCC] WRTC for VK/ZL

Hi,
I do not think WRTC has it right with value of points per
contest – especially looking from Z29 / Z30 / Z32 region.  In EU on NA the criteria might be fine, but
here (or maybe in AF or SA as well), the situation is very different.

Here are numbers of submitted logs from VK/ZL in recent
contest:

ODXC SSB (2013) = 98

CQWW SSB (2013) = 69

CQWPX SSB (2014) = 55

ODXC CW (2013) = 43

IARU (2013) = 38

CQWPX CW (2014) = 33

CQWW CW (2013) = 32

ARRL DX SSB (2014) = 32

ARRL DX CW (2014) = 18

AA DX CW (2013) = 13

RXDC (2014) = 10

AA DX SSB (2013)   = 8

WAE CW (2014) = 4

WAE SSB (2014) = 4

WAG (2013) = 3

I understand that DL guys are trying to promote DARC contests,
but there is simply no participation from VK/ZL to be a contest.

Quite possibly someone might end up with full 900 point in WAG
LP category for just a single QSO.

On the other hand it might be impossible to get same 900
points in CQWW from mainland if someone decides to collect ‘easy’ 1000 points
from VK9 expedition.  I do not know if it
is possible to compete from VK or ZL with anyone from ZK3 or somewhere there - does not matter how hard one tries.

The other problem what we have here is the size of Z29, Z30,
Z32.  The difference in latitude is some
30deg, about same difference as between North Africa and Scandinavia.  From East to West, the difference is bigger
that East Coast and West Coast of USA.
It makes huge difference where exactly the home Selection Area happened to
be.

In my opinion, the contests for WRTC from down here should
be only ODXC, CQWWs, CQWPXs, IARU and ARRLs.
And maybe the RDXC as well.  For
WAG, WAEs and AAs there is simply not enough participation – even though they
are great contests.

Each call area should have kind of ‘location weight factor’,
say 1.0 for VK2 and VK3; 0.75 for VK4, 6, 8.
Maybe 1.25 for VK7 and ZL.  And
0.5 for any island expedition in Z29, Z30 or Z32.

I personally do not like the SO-HP and SO-LP having same
weight.  In my opinion it will open floodgates
for cheating.  If someone wish to be competitive
in WRTC qualification, then he or she must have some decent setup – maybe few
beams, reasonable location etc.  The
linear (and access to internet) is only very small part of this setup.  In my opinion, if someone wishes to compete
for WRTC, then he or she should enter the SO-AB-HP category as everyone
else.  Apples with apples.  Do not get me wrong.  Some people do remarkably well in LP or QRP or SB categories, but once we all compete for same goal then we all should be in same sandpit.

73VladVK2IM

    __._,_.___

        Posted by: Vlad VK2IM <vk2im9 at gmail.com>

               Reply to sender