[CQ-Contest] Comments / FAQs on WRTC2018 qualification rules

Christian Janssen chris at dl1mgb.com
Sun Dec 7 10:12:23 EST 2014

The current qualification rules are the result of long and intensive
discussions and a unanimous decision of the WRTC2018 Organizing
Committee. We are most grateful for the discussions in various mailing
lists and the useful contributions we have received from them.

The following typos in the current rules (November 29, 2014) have been
corrected in the final rules (available on http://www.wrtc2018.de):

- VE9 added to NA #7
- EU #1 changed from 5 to 4 teams
- EU #3 changed from 4 to 5 teams

The following FAQ’s will possibly help to answer remaining questions
about the qualification rules:

Q: Why are Assisted, Non-Assisted, Single Band and Single Mode in the
same category?
A: The main reason is to simplify the rules and to promote the
competition by concentrating operators in only few categories. We do not
intend to rate down the skills known from the good old times, nor do we
plan to include the use of the DX-Cluster in the WRTC2018. Meanwhile
using assisted technologies has become a facet of contesting. A
contester these days should also be able to use them wisely. There have
been a number of changes in the past that are common today.

Q: Why has the period of qualification been reduced from 2.5 to 2 years
while maintaining 12 qualifying events?
A: In WRTC2014 a great number of participants suggested to shorten the
qualification period. By this there is sufficient time to form teams
during 2017 who can prepare their WRTC-setups. If we reduced the
qualifying events to less then 12 in two years, chances would be high to
get more tie scores and additional contest scores would have to be shown
to break the tie.

Q: Why this choice of contests and their weighing?