[CQ-Contest] Life (and WRTC qualification) ain't fair

Hank Greeb hgreeb at one.net
Tue Dec 9 18:19:14 EST 2014

I personally know that, when I go out for a Michigan or Ohio State QSO
Party, and stumble across a site which has 50 to 100' HAAT at ground
level in at least 3 directions, my 40' portable mast and wire antenna
will do MUCH MUCH better than at home or at a lower portable location.
It certainly doesn't hurt to find a county where there hasn't been a
fixed station entry in the past 2 or 3 years.  Under such conditions,
even a dolt operator like me has won the QRP arena of both MiQP and
OHQP.  I'm sure I couldn't have held a candle to the much higher scores
in the category when K8DD and W8MJ and others would decide to have a
"Battle of the QRP stations" in the MiQP with their much larger
antennae, etc.

So the complaints about "it ain't fair" have a very true basis. BUT, it
seems to me that there "Aint no way" that there can be a level playing
field, with operating skill as the only variable.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of thet ime