[CQ-Contest] Software Frustrations

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Dec 11 14:34:53 EST 2014

Well Jim, I'm sure you're right.

I should have been clearer that I'm sure that the issues are specific to this machine, and that I did not intend to imply otherwise.  That said, even though the issue is clearly related to the machine, N1MM+ isn't going to work on it without some major debugging.

The laptop/docking port combo in question was already in the shack and was to be used for an entirely different purpose, and got pressed into service when the shack machine failed.  Because of an unrelated non-amateur hardware failure in the house... in other words, the circuit board for the 93% efficient furnace let all the smoke out... and a related need to move stuff out of the way for the repair folks to work on it, my normal backup machine (and a LOT of other stuff as well) was not accessible at the time.  Since otherwise the laptop is working just fine (slower than I'd like but otherwise working just fine), I simply continued to use this machine, until the primary shack computer is repaired or replaced.

I've had several suggestions which I'm going to follow up on tonight.  I may also just pull out of "retirement" an old Windows 2000 laptop that has CTWIN on it, assuming that after over a year on the shelf it still wants to work, but I was hoping to move forward (computer hardware-wise), or at least laterally, not take a significant step backwards.

So thanks to all for the suggestions made so far.  One way or another, I'll have something up.

Now, does anyone know why www.k1ea.com is down?  Or is this finally the end for CT/CTWIN.  I know it's been surpassed by other packages these days, but I've been using it since CT 6 was demonstrated at Dayton, many moons ago, and I've grown accustomed to it's quirks...

73, ron w3wn

On 12/11/14, Jim Brown wrote:

On Thu,12/11/2014 7:03 AM, Larry wrote:
> ust curious, what did NL+ do to the video ports? I don't think it does
> anything to port configuration and just uses the port as configured. I
> have NL+ on a couple of laptops and a couple of desktops without a
> problem. Probably better to pursue that in the N1MMLoggerPlus group.

Agreed. Excellent support there. I've got NL+ on four laptops, all XP
Pro, no problems I can't blame on cockpit error.

73, Jim K9YC