[CQ-Contest] QRP

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 19 23:33:48 EST 2014

I nade two serioud attempts at QRP operating.  In 1978 I ran the CQ WW SSB
and did add/qrp and found that this caused far too much problem.  In 1984 I
won the USA Plaque for QRP in the ARRL SSB.  My score would have placed 4th
in low power.  I learned that using the voice keyer that just sending my
call without /QRP was the way to go. With a good antenna and the right
propagation QSOs were easy to make at times and impossible at other times.
I found that if a station did not answer after 4 or 5 calls go on to another
station or even change bands.  I even had a couple of runs of South
Americans
and one short Eu run

I expect that with computer logging that the /QRP causes all sorts of
problems.  I remember logging mobiles as /m but this showed up as England.

My hat is off to the dedicated QRP Contesters.  For me 100 watts is my QRP..

Dave K4JRB