[CQ-Contest] Working Dupes

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Dec 23 18:31:44 EST 2014

I've been working the ARRL Centennial (100 points for each station I
contact).  I find at least one, sometimes a half dozen or more, dupes
during one of my 30 minutes to and hour session on a band/mode
(typically 100 to 180 per hour).  Yes, the Centennial is classified as
an "operating event" but many folks seem to want to collect points.  It
takes perhaps 10 seconds of "my super valuable time" to work a dupe,
while it would take me longer to explain that they are already in my
log, et. nausea

And, when I CALL a "runnning" station, and he/she says I'm a dupe, I ask
"when", and often find I've transposed a couple letters in the call, or
have a wrong number in the prefix, etc.  It would save us both
considerable time to "just work me" and be done with it.

For the life of me, I can't see why people don't "just work dupes" and
be done with it.  What's the frustration in working a dupe, anyway?  Is
10 seconds of one's time a "make or break" situation?

If one were to search the archives ot CQ-Contesting at contesting.com, I'm
sure the word "dupes" would come up back to the days of the sp*rk gap
(if the internet were that old, at least.)

72/73 de n8xx Hg
DUPES forever, Dupes forever, is my cry.  D U P E S or die!  (to
paraphrase a cheerleading team form my high school_)