[CQ-Contest] Boom Mic / Headset

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 26 12:55:45 EST 2014

On Fri,12/26/2014 8:52 AM, Joe wrote:
> If you use one, What one?

Yamaha CM500.

> If you had to, would you buy it again?

YES!

This is a VERY comfortable headset that I can wear for as much of a long
contest as I can sit in the chair (my best recent BIC time was 32 hours
for CQWWCW). Both headphones and mic sound VERY good. Cost is about
$60.  It is an electret mic, so it needs bias. It plugs directly into
the rear panel of a K3. For other rigs you'll need to make a simple
cable adapter that mates the 1/8-in plug to the mic connector on the
rig, and add a low watt 5.6K resistor inside the plug between V+ and the
mic audio pins.

The only downside is that this is a consumer product, the cable is a
wear item, and is not replaceable.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC