[CQ-Contest] what else is lost

Milt -- N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Sat Feb 1 14:51:46 EST 2014

Marty,

I was saddened at the demise of HR.  I thoroughly enjoyed the technical
articles.  My subscription wasn't finished when HR ceased publication.

Likewise, it was a piece of the good pie that went away when 73 vanished.
My lifetime subscription was for the lifetime of the magazine, not me.

CQ certainly fills the void on the high level contesting side of the hobby,
as well as many other facets of the hobby.  I think I have a year or two
paid in advance.  We'll see what happens.

I have a lifetime membership in ARRL and hopefully that money was invested
wisely.  QST serves its purpose very well.  I suppose it is only a matter of
time before it is published in the digital version only.

But you are entirely correct; there will not be any new hard copy
publications for the new niches in Ham Radio.

73 to all,

de Milt, N5IA

Cc: cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what else is lost

No Mike, Ham Radio didn't die when HR (I was the technical editor there for
its last three years) or 73 died...but a little piece of it did.  Death by a
thousand cuts. We as the hobbiests and the vendors have to support each
other...

I agree that subsidies aren't necessarily the right direction...BUT...if we
aren't collectively reading the tea leaves...well we're all going to wake up
one morning and wonder where the tea leaves went.

Seriously doubt you will see any new rags that cater to the ham culture.
Raspberry Pi, arduino, picaxe...yeah maybe there...

73,

Marty Durham
W1MD
w1md at arrl.net
> my support.
>
> Ham radio did not die when other Ham Radio magazines failed.
>

> Mike W0MU

-----
No virus found in this message.