[CQ-Contest] what else is lost

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Feb 2 00:57:50 EST 2014

Things work exactly the opposite, Charlie.  I can't think of a single
example where a distributed medium (which the internet is) results in
less diversity than does a centrally managed one.

The folks here on this reflector aren't the ones "discarding" CQ
Magazine ... its subscribers and advertisers (apparently) are.  The hard
fact is that CQ Magazine is no longer "vibrant" in the least (QST is
even less so), and for the most part neither is the hobby it serves.
Print media in general costs more than the relative value of the content
it provides compared with other alternatives, and you might as well
lament the passing of door-to-door milkmen or video rental shops.

Besides, there have been countless ham radio businesses that have
disappeared in the last couple of decades and I didn't see anyone
willing to subsidize them to keep them alive.  I don't see any reason
why a magazine should be any different.

Dave   AB7E