[CQ-Contest] Contesting and sleep depravation

Jeff Kinzli kinzli at kinzlicoils.com
Tue Feb 18 12:33:20 EST 2014

Bob, this is an interesting video and touches on a number of items
that are very important to us contesters.

I've found that for me personally, sleep is probably one of the most
difficult parts of the 48 hour contest - and just in everyday life its
a challenge with our busy careers, lives, and even fun to maintain a
healthy and productive level of sleep, whatever that level is for each
of us.

Sleep deprivation can really shorten our lives and regular sleep
deprivation is linked to a number of fairly serious health conditions,
so we owe it to ourselves to do what we can to avoid those pitfalls.

I've found that there are a number of ways to deal with the lack of
sleep that can increase one's productivity both during a contest, and
pre/post contest. Part of it lies in nutrition, another part in habit
and muscle-memory, and yet a third part in building in patterns
pre/post contest so that you're more "ready" for the 48 hour stint.
Its certainly not easy, and there is no 100% formula (yet) that works
for everyone, but there are some things that help us across the board.

I started a group of successful single-op contesters to discuss this
and other issues some time ago. This topic comes up regularly and
there is no easy fix that I'm aware of. For those interested in
discussing this and related topics in a dedicated discussion group,
please contact me off-list.

73 de N6GQ