[CQ-Contest] An S&P'ers view regarding contest ID'ing

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Fri Jan 31 10:33:17 EST 2014

In the big DX Contests, I find that there are a few serious contesters who
don't ID enough.  It is a small number -- for most good contesters know
they are going to have more NILs and dupes if they don't identify enough.

That said, there are LOTs of DXers and casual players who are looking for
new Band Countries, States, etc, and who don't care or don't know the
specific rules.

Case in Point: CQWW Phone -- Sunday afternoon -- a HUGE pileup on an
African station.  He NEVER identifies, for as long as I listened -- too
long -- and even coming back later.  During the run, an (obviously) young
operator, who was quite loud, told the op "You know, sir, you'll get a lot
less dupes if you would please identify with your call sign"  It was a very
polite request.   The African station never even acknowledged the op.  So
-- for a bunch of this stuff -- and sometimes fairly rare mults -- you just
going to have to deal with it.

In CW contests, I find the problem to be not as much of an issue.  It is
most definitely the bad human spots and RBN misses that cause much of the
issue.  Remember the famous BY1V spots?  Well, if your antenna is not
pointing at China, and the station is not loud, it's probably not there.
 Is it the right time of day to work that location?
Common sense goes a long way.  Don't rely on ID for everything -- because
we are never going to eliminate the problem altogether.   A good knowledge
of active calls and Super Check Partial will go a long way to working lids
that don't ID.  A positive ID is always better, though.

73 es let's have a blast in ARRL DX CW!    See ya from Vermont.

Gerry, W1VE