[CQ-Contest] WPX Rules

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Jan 31 13:03:43 EST 2014

On 1/31/2014 8:53 AM, Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:

> As far as the silliness of the rule which was noted by  some...There are
> lots of silly rules in contests.  For  example, the having to give up your
> freq rule in the Sprint after a Q, is not  required by FCC.  No one complains
> about that one

I agree with Bill on most of his other points.  3 QSO's is arbitrary and
is no guarantee for expedience in making a contact.  If people would
simply stop calling stations that don't identify, what would happen?
They would be forced to identify.  Apparently we have to create new
rules because people simply cannot NOT call an unknown station.  How
ridiculous is that?

Sprint was designed around the QSY rule.  WPX was not. This is a poor
comparison.  Lets compare contesting to track and field.  In track and
field there are many different competitions, some are running as fast as
you can while others are to jump as far as you can.  Contesting is no
different.   We have competitions where the goal is to work prefixes,
states or move after every contact, etc.

The participants in contest need to heed the contest rules and the rules
and regulations for their license.  The operator needs stay with in the
rules and regulations of both.  It is not the job of the contest to make
sure their rules line up with every governing body in radio.

I agree with Bill on most of his other points.  3 QSO's is arbitrary and
is no guarantee for expedience in making a contact.  If people would
simply stop calling stations that don't identify, what would happen?
They would be forced to identify.

W0MU