[CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Jan 31 22:16:57 EST 2014

Ward, I also agree that a running station should send his callsign
frequently.  Frequently does not mean ID after every QSO, if you have a
quick running pileup. Sometimes an op can catch two callsigns at a time and
works one right after the other.  There are many variables involved and a
good op adjusts to these conditions.  The more efficient a running station
is, the more people work him so everyone benefits.  I just do not feel that
it is should be considered unsportsmenlike conduct if you happen to make
more than three QSOs without IDing.  This is too easy to unintentionally
violate especially when rates are high and you're sleep deprived.  I imagine
that the rule is intended for the person sitting on a frequency saying QRZ
for minutes at a time instead if their callsign, if so perhaps it can be
better written.

BTW, how do you know that IDing every QSO did not hurt your score one bit?
Nearby P40L and PJ4A had scores 30-40% higher.

John KK9A