[CQ-Contest] July/August NCJ

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Tue Jul 22 12:43:40 EDT 2014

         I got mine the day before the contest. We had one of the Grand
kids, so I didn't get to crack it open until nearly 11PM. As I sleepily
read through, I found the schedule, clearly showing a start time of 8AM.
Half asleep, I promptly got up and reset the alarm for 7A. The next
morning, I got up and had coffee and breakfast, but felt something just
wasn't right. About 35 minutes after waking, it suddenly dawned on me - the
schedule was in EDST, while I am in CDST. A rookie mistake, which
re-enforces the advice - don't make changes the day of (or night before) a
contest, especially when not fully awake. I missed about 45 minutes of what
turned out to be a great 15 and 20 meter opening to EU. Still, the opening
was good enough, and maybe the adrenaline rush from being late helped, that
I topped my previous best by 25%.

          I thought the bios were nice, personalizing the competitors. The
articles were well written and informative. While IARU/WRTC is already one
of my favorite contests, the magazine helped build a sense of urgency and
camaraderie, making me want to participate even more. Congrats to all the
competitors.

73,
Mark, K5ER