[CQ-Contest] Remote at WRTC: Come to WRTC 2014 Boston, Operate IARU Radiosport from Vermont, Sweden, Brazil or upstate New York!

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Thu Jun 26 13:23:25 EDT 2014

On 26/06/2014 17:09, w5ov at w5ov.com wrote:

> Please demonstrate, backed up with appropriate documentation, that such
> transnational remote operation is NOT legal.

Transnational operation is illegal when it relies
solely on the provisions of CEPT which, as I have
explained, relates only to visiting amateurs.

This was confirmed at the IARU Region 1 Conference, Sun
City, South Africa, August 2011

   Recommendation SC11_C4_07:

   That member societies bring to their members attention
   that the T/R 61-01 agreement only applies to people
   using their own call sign, with the appropriate country
   prefix, when the operator is actually visiting that
   country, not for remote operation.

   Proposed by REF, seconded by EDR. Approved with four
   against.

http://folk.uio.no/tomvs/la4ln/SC11_Plenary%20Final%20Plenary%20Minutes.pdf

> >From my perspective there are no "ethical issues".

I contact other radio amateurs using amateur radio,
and enjoy the communications independence which is
its defining characteristic.  When, and only when,
I choose to relinquish that independence, I'm happy
to use Skype or the phone.

The ethical issue is the dependence on public
communications utilities to contact other radio
amateurs - all the while asserting it's all just
another form of amateur radio.

73,
Paul EI5DI