[CQ-Contest] "College recruiting gamers as athletes "

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Jun 28 17:32:33 EDT 2014

Radiosport and video games are, however, competition ... with both of
them having elements that are every bit as intense as any athletic
competition.  I fully agree that gamers and contesters are not
"athletes" per se, but I think I could argue pretty solidly that
colleges and universities originally created athletic scholarships to
promote competition far more than they did pure athletics (fitness,
etc).  If we were to think of these scholarships in that context it
wouldn't sound like nonsense at all.

Not that I expect that radiosport would ever qualify for scholarship
consideration.  There isn't enough general interest in what we do for
anybody to pay to watch us do it while video games, on the other hand,
are reaching that point.  In places like Korea it is already a very
large spectator sport with top tier players earning upwards of a hundred
thousand dollars per year and having rock star status. I'm pretty sure
that nobody bid on the streaming video rights for WRTC this year ....

73,
Dave   AB7E