[CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Mon Mar 17 10:06:27 EDT 2014

Hello Dick and others,

Over the last few years, I've gone from 19 inch monitors, up to dual 24
inch monitors, here at me m/m.  It's not perfect, but I think it's about
the best I can do.  Although, they are used for m/m, with a second rig
on the same band, I think the issues would be the same.

Recommend identical monitors.  Don't try and use a 21 and a 24 inch
monitor, cuz you will NEVER get the resolution to look right.
I have had really good luck with LG monitors.  Color is very rich;
others not so much.
You will most likely wind up with more video card than you will need.
It's not like you will need to support any movement on the screen, as a
'gamer' would.  I would bet the least expensive video card that supports
two monitors, will be over kill for you needs.
VGA or DVI outputs, or a combination of the two, should be fine. Just
make sure the monitors you get will hook up to the video card. I think
all of my latest monitors have both VGA and DVI inputs, and my video
cards support one of each.
As someone mentioned, you can have them too high.  With left/right space
limitations, the only place to go is up.
Mine are mounted on a single 'shelf' directly above the rigs.  Not a lot
of space left when you start adding other equipment like an amp.

Only band I use 2 monitors on the same rig is 80 (third pic) as I run
several digital receive windows using different receive antennas and
need the space.  Here my problem is left to right 'whiplash' trying to
keep up with all the on-screen activity, even though all receive windows
are on the left monitor.

Some pics.

http://www.nr4m.com/node/148
http://www.nr4m.com/node/144