[CQ-Contest] Flex Radio Question

Stuart Phillips stu at ridgelift.com
Tue May 6 11:40:42 EDT 2014

Tod,

I’m getting bounces on your tod at k0to.us address so hope you see this via
the reflector…

Kevin K6TD (former Cal QSO Party chairman, former NCCC director and
Dxpedition member of K4M and C82DX) sold his K3 a couple of months after
purchasing his 6700 - he’s an active contester.

The K3 is a fine radio and to me, this discussion isn’t about the Flex
6000 being its replacement - that’s a matter of personal preference.

The Flex 6500 is comparably priced to a decently configured K3 for
equivalent features.  By the time you add roofing filters, P3 and
associated VGA display adaptor, you are in the same price range.  Yes, the
6700 is a higher priced but it also has many features the K3 does not - so
not an equivalent comparison.

I am a very active contester - I don’t have a super station but I am
competitive against similarly equipped stations here on the West Coast.  I
run legal limit to a DB18E at 50’ with other antennas for the low bands.
In contests I use Writelog and everything in the station is computer
controlled - amps, SteppIR etc.  I contest all three modes - phone, CW and
RTTY with phone and RTTY being my stronger events.

I don’t see any latency related issues when operating the radio.  The
radio command is perceptually “instant” - you make a change and there is
no perceivable lag - this is true of tuning as well as interfacing with
the radio controls.  In contests I regularly run over 100 Qs an hour with
sustained bursts of 240 or better - the radio isn’t the rate limiter - now
its the operator!

The Flex 6000 series radios have a high power real time computer system IN
THE RADIO - a high speed processor, separate DSP, maintenance processors
and FPGA.  The FPGA in particular does the high speed heavy lifting of the
> 240 M samples/second from the Analog/Digital converter.  The client
>running on a PC is now a thin client providing display and UI to the
>remote controlled radio.

BTW, the separate receivers are NOT time sliced - they are all driven from
the same sample set - you are effectively capturing 120 Mhz of spectrum
all the time - that’s how you get the separate receivers.

However, computer control of ANY radio or station element introduces a new
set of considerations for contest operation - how to integrate these
elements into the WORKFLOW associated with the logging program.  In other
words, never having to change window focus away from the logging program
in order to maximize rate and minimize operator work load.

Even adding a computer controlled rotor to a conventional station
introduces the same problem - moving window focus is a no no in my view.

Those operating K3’s remotely have the option of the K3/0 - an RF empty K3
with front panel and all the knobs - serving a a second computer to
control the remote radio.  In my case, I command the remote radio via a
combination of the FlexControl (a tuning knob and switch peripheral that
enables radio control without changing window focus) and an iPad app I
developed (K6TU Control) which serves as a virtual front panel for the
radio (and MUCH less expensive than a K3/0 :-).

Contester adoption of SDR radios may well be similar to the AM/SSB
argument - both require a change and hams don’t like change.

Attention to work flow integration is critical when computer controlling
the radio or the station - there are now off the shelf solutions that
enable this in SO1R (I’m still easing my way into SO2R) with the FlexRadio
6000 series radios.

With the workflow addressed, the performance and ease of operation of the
radio is spectacular.

- Brick wall filters
- Ultra clean audio making stations easy to copy and with low operator
fatigue
- HD pan adaptors
- Multiple receivers

Restating the issue - its about workflow integration of a computer
controlled station.  This is the root issue and perception issue that has
limited the adoption of SDRs to date - the issues are solved and I’m
delighted to have SDR capabilities in my ham radio operation!

Stu K6TU