[CQ-Contest] Flex Radio Question

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:49:55 EDT 2014

 >  ...but there is a need for at least one knob for tuning

Stirring the pot a bit - why is the "beads on a string" metaphor of
tuning through a one-dimensional RF spectrum necessary?  Certainly, this
has been the way we have envisioned radio since the invention of
narrowband reception in the late-1910s but is this the only way to
experience and interact with a set of signals?  Are there no other
attributes besides center frequency and amplitude?

SDR presents the possibility of new presentations and user interfaces.
At the moment, it is only being used to make a really good version of
the same box-with-knob-and-dial that we have used for nearly a century.

My question is...what comes next?

73, Ward N0AX