[CQ-Contest] No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:27:41 EST 2014

Kelly,

Anyone who thinks using the RBN or packet spots is an inherent detriment to a single operator is badly mistaken.  If assisted scores are not at the level of non assisted it simply means that most of the best operators choose to operate without a computer telling them where everyone is located on the band.  If someone asks the question who won the contest with no other information, it would be assumed by most to mean who won the single operator all band high power category and it so happens that most, not all, of the best operators choose that category.

Now,  if someone doesn't have the sense to use the assistance to their benefit and chooses instead to use one radio and spend most of their time clicking and pressing F4 instead, they can hurt their score as a result, but those who would do that are either not serious or are not the best operators.

The serious SO2R guys who would normally tune the second radio looking for people to work on another band, especially new multipliers, can just click and work them one after the other on the second radio while running on Radio 1 using packet with RBN on CW.

Surely you or no one else believes that it would be to their advantage to tune that second radio instead of having the computer line up in a row all the ones they want to work.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad