[CQ-Contest] Sound Card

Joe nss at mwt.net
Mon Nov 24 10:06:17 EST 2014

Greetings everyone.

I'm a major fan of Digital Mode,  well right now the original Digital
Mode "CW"  But I have seriously thought about doing the more elaborate
digital modes like  RTTY, PSK, JT  etc. And now with N1MM running some
recorded Voice messages on SSB.

Recently I finally after 12+ years got a new Computer, A DELL Inspirion 3847
Intel i5-4460  3.2Ghz
PCI slots

Typical sound system motherboard setup.

Except it's CRAP!!!!

My old DELL 12+ years old I have hooked up to a awesome amplified
speaker system, And it sounds incredible. If there is any distortion at
all, I can't hear it. At any volume level. And with this speaker system
I sometime crank it up a LOT and rattle the walls.

I listen to all sorts of streaming audios too like from Radio Stations,
and or like pandora etc.  and sounds pretty good.

BUT........  and there always is a BUT isn't there?

This new computer sound it is terrible,  distortion? I'd say 50%
Honestly I have vintage 60's 2 transistor radios that sound better than
this computer does. At any volume level it is terrible.

I had DELL work on it and everything it is just CRAP I don't dare use it
to generate digital signals. Or recorded voice messages.

So thats what my question is here guys.

Looking for recommendations for a good sound card for bot amateur radio
as well as music too.

Suggestions?

Joe WB9SBD
--