[CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

w7dra at juno.com w7dra at juno.com
Sun Oct 12 03:40:38 EDT 2014

you make me curious. what would i be listening for? i know if i mistune
my arc5 vfo, or some of my power amps, i can get birdies up and down  the
 band, but my stodgy amps (833, 810 tubes) i can't get them to do
anything other than to put more or less power output, no matter how i
tune them

i can never think of a time when i was contesting that someone had a wide
signal, or was least wide to my nc183 xtal filter and q5er.

I suggest that you look up "100 Watt Contest Final" November CQ 1956,
page 44 that references the proper way to neutralize your amplifier "in
such a manner that the signal doesn't become too narrow", so as to
achieve a "strong parasitic just outside the low end of the band" (both
page 45). The author does comment that he feels this "violates the rules
of gamesmanship, see W. Green, "Gamesmanship and the Contest" (page 45).
The additional reference is left to the reader to ferret out.

My 833's came out of the amplifiers of W7RM, so i would never think to
test them for signal purity.

mike w7dra, retired contester