[CQ-Contest] Entry Class -- CQWW Classic Overlay As It Should Be

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Oct 19 11:00:31 EDT 2014

As one of those who has advocated a 24-hour class for CQWW for well over
a decade, I was gratified last year when Randy announced the Classic
overlay.  My enthusiasm was somewhat dampened, though, when the final
rule banned spotting assistance as well as SO2R.

I imagine that these restrictions were added to allay the concerns of
the 48-hours-at-any-cost types, but they strike me as unnecessary.  This
year, I will be entering what I prefer to call the
Classic-As-It-Should-Be category, with spotting assistance from the RBN
(of course).  I am not using SO2R simply because I am no longer set up
for it, but otherwise I intend to adhere to the Classic rules.  I think
it will be an interesting tactical challenge to try to maximize my
score, give my location and antennas, operating within those limits.
True, there'll be no certificate in it for me, but that's secondary.

Want to join me?  Should Classic be changed next year to eliminate these
restrictions?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at