[CQ-Contest] Caliphate of ISIS in CQWW SSB

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Oct 19 20:09:12 EDT 2014

Hhhmm ....

I think there's an issue of timeframe here that you're missing, Hans.
And it's fundamental to why the ARRL and CQ, at least in theory, defer
to established institutions like the U.N. to determine the legitimacy of
the local governing body.  Otherwise, to take the argument to the
extreme, we could have situations like some local HOA requiring their
residents to use locally assigned callsigns ... and then us pretend that
they were valid until the feds intervened. I'm not sure that the
authority of the Caliphate of ISIS has any greater legitimacy, and
hopefully no greater duration.

It seems true that CQ and ARRL can figure out how to be consistent on
the issue, but I'm not sure we want to throw out the premise that
callsigns need to be "valid" (whatever that may be).

By the way, I've found the argument informative thus far and find myself
sympathetic to at least parts of both sides of it.

73,
Dave   AB7E