[CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 21 01:59:59 EDT 2014

On 10/20/2014 2:05 PM, Stuart Phillips wrote:
> BUT… as operators we have a choice of where we operate on the band.

Good operators RUN, and they Search and Pounce. When a dirty station
wipes out 10 kHz of a band (as KE1B regularly does with a 7600 and legal
limit amp 8 miles from me), he deprives me of the stations within that
10 kHz, some of which may be mults. And he makes it more difficult for
our neighbor, K6XX, to qualify for WRTC.

> One always has the choice to move - plus, a good operator with a good radio can pull signals out from the noise created by the “dirty” rig - yes, it takes time but that’s part of the required skill level.

But the guy with the dirty rig doesn't have that problem -- his trash
pushes nearby competitors aside. And why should it be more difficult for
me than for him?

>But it still doesn’t address the grandfathered issue of older rigs - and likely never will.

I don't see an exemption in 97.307 (a), (b), or (c) for old rigs.

Bottom line -- it's rights and responsibilities. Read the Rules -- our
licenses authorize us to operate with power levels up to 1.5kW, but
97.307 makes us responsible for producing a CLEAN signal, and not
interfering with other stations outside the minimum bandwidth required
for transmission.

73, Jim K9YC