[CQ-Contest] Move to disband MAR section in Canada (for contesting)

Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Oct 30 17:43:29 EDT 2014

The ARRL sponsored NCJ sprints require MAR, whereas the ARRL NCJ NA QSO parties allow Provinces.

Some ARRL contests require MAR, whereas some require NB, NS & PEI.  There seems to be little in the way of consistency.

Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of worldwide contests, including 90% of state run QSO parties  allow “NB, NS or PEI.”

(The California QSO party being the holdout)…..folks are usually tickled when they work VE9 for a new mult.

The continuous staunch retort from (my good friends at) the ARRL seems to say “We follow RAC sections”, and apparently that’s that-end of discussion. . …however if you look down the list of ARRL contests very carefully, you’ll see only a percentage of them do. (50%?) I don’t know – I would have to count them. Does it matter if I said 40% or 65% really?

Even the hugely popular RAC contests here at home say “send your province”……I have sent “NB” in every Canada Day or Canada Winter contest that I have entered since “RAC” was the CARF.   I live in NB not a fictitious “Maritime Province”.

By saying “we follow RAC”……no, you really don’t.  You only follow RAC sections for *S-O-M-E* of the ARRL sponsored contests. ( I reckon not even most of them)

I still also stand by the fact that no other States or Provinces are lumped together with other States or Provinces to create a section.  (DC is the exception, but it is not a State )  I have new information given to me today that once upon a time Georgia, SC and Cuba (of all places) was a section, but that must surely been before I was born, or at least the Bay of Pigs affair.

Hey, I don’t expect anyone to jump right up and change things overnight, but look,  I’ve been a VE9 for 21 years (and a ham much longer than that).  I am not CURRENTLY a RAC member, but have been in the past.  I was even a volunteer for the RAC VHF frequency committee for VE3DS  and certainly do my part to represent VE9 (NB) in the RAC contests out of an unwritten devotion to RAC even though admittedly they are not my favorite contests.

Usually I feel my voice is never heard and over time I will let my RAC membership lapse.

All I am saying is that (for whatever reason) we have multiple sections in Ontario and every other Province has their own section.  Isn’t it time for the ARRL to get onboard with 95% of other worldwide contests and recognize that it’s time to recognize that ALL contests under the ARRL banner should treat us equally out here?

It sure would be nice to hear from Geoff Bowden on this issue.  I have RAC folks (VE9MY and VY2LI) who’ve heard our concerns. We have RAC representation in every province including NB, NS and PEI (and Newfoundland/Labrador). I am not entirely certain where they stand, but if it takes someone from RAC to initiate a change or someone from the ARRL like N3KN or K1ZZ to pick up the phone and call Manitoba and speak with VE4BAW, to see what needs to be done I’d gladly pay the long distance charges.  I see people at ARRL and RAC nodding, but nobody is even CONSIDERING our request and nobody is even talking.

Thanks for your time.

Mike VE9AA “NB”

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB