[CQ-Contest] Move to disband MAR section in Canada (for contesting)

Ken Low kenke3x at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 07:26:46 EDT 2014

K9YC wrote:

"DC wants to split from MDC, but it's also rare to find a DC station workable from the west coast, especially since W3DQ has been laid up."

Hi Jim - sorry but your statement is false:

1.  When is the last time you saw a DC contester spamming this reflector asking that DC be its own section?   We do not want to split from MDC.

2.   Just search 3830 for the contests where DC is its own multiplier and you will see it is consistently activated by multiple stations.   That does not even count 14,000 QSO's we just made as W1AW/3 two weeks ago.

DC is not a state.   It is a Federal District created to prevent any individual state from exercising control over the seat of the  US Federal Government (wiki Pennsylvania Mutiny of 1783 for info).

I have never met a DC ham who is unhappy to be part of MDC Section for ARRL administration purposes.

To those who propose to split MAR into smaller bits, I would ask:   What is your objective - to create bigger pileups for yourselves?   You can always go to the Caribbean for that (and it's a lot warmer).

Be careful what you wish for.  I periodically miss my own multiplier in those few events where DC counts independently from MD.   It just provides an advantage to everyone else.

73,

Ken KE3X

DC (in 4 contests a year)
MDC (in Sweepstakes)