[CQ-Contest] High band rx arrays for contesting

Bob Kupps via CQ-Contest cq-contest at contesting.com
Mon Sep 1 01:39:05 EDT 2014

Hi we enjoy a relatively high level of propagated QRN here right up through 30 mHz. We have some good transmitting antennas that certainly help but even using stacks we get some very deep mid-angle nulls with our flat Fresnel zone. The phased vertical rx arrays look very attractive with a beam width comparable to our yagis but a much nicer elevation profile and F/B. Plus the ability to switch directions very rapidly. The downside might be their low sensitivity below 6-7 degrees elevation compared to the high horizontal antennas.

Does anyone have experience using rx arrays on the high bands in contests?

73 Bob HS0ZIA