[CQ-Contest] Difference between the ICE 419 419A & 419B bandpass filters

Jay Terleski jayt at arraysolutions.com
Wed Sep 10 09:48:20 EDT 2014

Dear Charles and others on this list.

The ICE (Mike Koss) 419B and other variants was a 2 pole top capacitor
coupled filter.  Good for the time, but not good for the ultimate SO2R
close coupled antennas we see today. It was manually controlled or
electrically controlled by a DIN jack in the rear.   It was also very easy
to blow out, and due to the hand point to point wiring difficult to
troubleshoot and repair. As the largest dealer for ICE we sold a ton of
them.  As a small side step, we also suffered from Mike ( a one man shop)
not being able to deliver on time and that went for all of his products.
 Don't get me wrong Mike and I were good buds and spent hours on the phone
talking about lots of stuff. He was a great engineer, and invented some
awesome products. But due to the overwhelming phone calls for delivery and
service I finally made him a website, www.iceradioproducts.com and we did
business with him through it.  He paid us a smaller commission, and
serviced the orders directly himself.  No more phone calls.

So after he died, we were suddenly without a vendor of filters and some
other important products that we had become very entangled with like surge
arrestors.  So I decided to reengineer many of his products, add some
improvements, better components and we know have the AS-xx mono band
filters and the AS-419 filter which was named to  honor Mike.  But these
are 3 pole filters so have better by over 2X the adjacent band rejection
and less passband loss. They also can handle more power since now XCVRs
often can put out 200W.

The AS-419 is manually controlled with pushbuttons, and also is on the
Shacklan 4 wire network, as well as can be controlled with a DB9 input jack
like the 419b from ICE.  See it here
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Hamation/bandpasser/bandpasser_II_AS_419.htm

We also improved on Mikes surge arrestors both coaxial and control line
protection, the front end protector, which was genius (Mike's design), and
still better then anything out there. We just tweaked it a bit to meet
modern specs for radio front ends.

I hope that helps explain some of the differences Charlie asked about.
Jay, WX0B

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Charles Harpole <hs0zcw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correction from my earlier message re the 419B product..........
>
> Sadly I.C.E. founder, W9SU, is now SK.  The web page, www.icemfg.com does
> not go to a page offering I.C.E. products.
>
> I hope Jay at Array Solutions can advise us about the availability of the
> 419B.
>
> 73, Charly
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Charles Harpole <hs0zcw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is a more full story on the Switchable Band Pass Filters.......
>>
>> The I.C.E. 419 well known for years is made and sold by I.C.E.  Rated at
>> 200watts, the current version is 419B for $318USD.   It has a single rotary
>> switch on front.  It has an added fuse on its DC supply line compared with
>> the earlier version 419.  It is purchased from I.C.E.
>> See
>>
>> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/filtersrf.html

>> The AS419 has push buttons and rated at 100 watts.  Although the Web page
>> at
>>
>> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/  contains the I.C.E logo and info at
>> the top, this version appears to be made and is definitely sold by Array
>> Solutions in Texas.  This item sells for $595usd and the separate WARC
>> version is priced at $525usd.  It is on Web page that is, noted at
>> bottom, from Array Solutions.

>> These are separate products, apparently sold by two different ordering
>> sources.  de K4VUD
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Bill Hider <n3rr at erols.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> These links below will benefit you greatly if you haven't found them on
>>> the
>>> Internet yet:
>>> Scroll to the bottom each link below, otherwise you will miss some of the
>>> answers to your questions:
>>>
>>> The new - latest version of the I.C.E. model 419, the AS-419, is
>>> described
>>> here:

--
Jay Terleski