[CQ-Contest] Chasing W1AW Stations

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 14:33:43 EDT 2014

I reviewed my 2014 ARRL DX contest LCR and was puzzling over how so
many contestants not only got my state wrong, but almost always
inserted "VA" even though I am "K3" ZJ.  It's not SCP because I
haven't operated from "VA" for a very long time . . . . Furthermore,
this mistake almost always was by a station that CALLED ME during a
run. So I have to assume that they could hear me well, and even if
they didn't, I was giving out my state repeatedly so they could stay
on frequency until they got it.

Now I understand -- my FCC license address is in VA where I reside,
even though I rarely (almost never) operate from that state.  Instead
of entering what they hear, they either enter my licensed address or
accept it if it is pre-filled by this software.

I guess this works for 90+ percent of the time.  But entering what one
actually copies is the objective.

73,

Dave K3ZJ