[CQ-Contest] SSB Sprint - W4ANs View

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Tue Sep 16 09:31:07 EDT 2014

Funny Story...

I've been pretty busy with life and not been on the air that much for
contests.
I was thinking of getting on for the CW Open.   Well, at the last minute I
did,
remotely from Vermont.  I opened a new log for the CW Open.  Not thinking,
I had my CW messages programmed for the Open (except I forgot to change
my CQ, which was CQ NA (the CQ for Sprint).   I called CQ and stations came
back --and I did not give my state.  They asked for it.  What the heck?
 Well, of course, I soon realized, it was 24 hours later, and this was
Sprint.  I was pretty confused.   I did change
my log, and was happy to give a bunch of guys a Vermont QSO.   However, if
it's
confusing to me (not normally so), I bet it is really confusing to new
contesters,
where the exchanges are very similar but the rules are very different.

I'd say that the lifeblood of any long-standing contest is the
participation of non-contesters or "casual"
contesters.  (We tend to focus on the top ten -- but we NEED all those
other QSOs!)
With a Sprint, the QSY rule is not obvious, and so this can be very
confusing to new people.
Especially on SSB, where you tend to have a bunch of casual participants.
 Also, non-contesters
are going to get pissed at the QRM due to the QSY rule.

Sprint is not casual. It's for the dedicated. Maybe should be CW only.

73, Gerry W1VE