[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 141, Issue 23

XV4Y (Yan) xv4y at nature-mekong.com
Fri Sep 19 19:47:46 EDT 2014

Hi,

A some have said :
- put your rigs in normal suitcases,
- a bigger rig will attract more attention, TS-590s/K3 is the upper limit, really few people bring 10Kg of electronic just for fun during their holidays,
- keep a copy of official papers (home country license, visited country license, invoice, contest rules, hotel reservation...) close to the radio,
- don't lie but don't tell too much at first as you will lose them and attract more attention.

Regarding Viet-Nam, it also depends on where you're coming from.
Regional flights from say Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand will not have their luggage controled in 90% of the cases. I bought a TS-590s in Singapore and brought it in a big Kenwood cardboard box without being watched.
In last June I came from a trip in France visiting my parents and was taking back coax cables and 50Kg of various stuff for the family. Suitcases were scanned but the custom agent was not watching the screen!
Last year, one my wife's uncle leaving in CA came visiting the family. He brought with him a big bottle of good Whisky as gift for his brothers. The same bottles you can find in many shops here for cheaper than in the US, but he still thinks we have no soap or shampoo here. The custom agents played with him and made him paid an unjustified import tax. They knew this gift was important to him not by value (or rarity as they knew) but because it was for some close relatives.

So when the customs ask, don't tell them this big expensive radio is everything for you and your trip.
You're just here for holidays, visiting the country (true) and will stay in **that hotel or place**.
The big box is a radio. To listen for international radio. For leisure.
Yes you have the permit to use this radio.
You will take it back with you when you're leaving.
Only when you're really stuck at the customs for more than 30 minutes, show the actual papers and pronounce the words radioamateur and contest or expedition.
Don't be too serious about it, this is a hobby, you're just playing radio.

As a matter of fact, the work for "leisure" in vietnamese is the same than playing (for kids). It saved me a lot of explanations when trying to import things.
I'm just playing, guys, don't worry about me being a grown up kid with expensive toys.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y