[CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions

Roberts, Will Will.Roberts at duke-energy.com
Mon Sep 22 08:53:45 EDT 2014

Ed,

I have found that arrival personnel don't care much about licenses, CEPT permits, etc. Your biggest problem travelling with radio gear is going to be customs. I'd advise you to seek out a local baggage handler to help with your bags when you get them off the plane. Having a local seems to "breeze" the luggage through without as many questions. It's no guarantee, but it's usually worth the cost of a few bucks per bag. If customs does start asking questions, don't lie about the value of your radio. They are now using the internet to look up the values. In my opinion, it's best to offer to pay a bond up front with the understanding you will be taking the equipment when you leave. They will give you lots of official looking papers with stamps and signatures. Often they will make notes in your passport of what you brought in. There are times that it has taken me days to jump through all of the hoops.

I would advise that you run your itinerary of countries that you plan to visit by this group or a similar forum. Chances are, someone has been to that location recently and can advise you. I've also found that customs experiences can be very different based on time of day, your attitude, and random luck-of-the-draw. Just be prepared for problems, and hope you can avoid them.

I am concerned about the new regulations that our own beloved TSA has put into place in the past few months. Supposedly we now have to demonstrate that the gear will power up to prove it is not a terrorist device. If we can't power it up to their satisfaction, it gets confiscated. It's happened to cell phones and computers. I haven't heard of any problems YET with ham stuff. At the very least, I will have to stop my usual practice of packing a transceiver and power supply in different cases.

73,

Will AA4NC