[CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Mon Sep 22 13:48:03 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Given the newfound interest in seeing things operate, and I don't believe
they expect you to wire an antenna and make contacts from scanner table,
would a failsafe fix not be something as simple as a collection of 9 AA
batteries? (Ten, if they're the 1.2-v rechargable kind.) That is, if you're
not carrying a lightweight switching supply with the radio.

I say AA batteries since, especially if you keep them in original packaging
till needed, they are more readily recognized as innocuous by laypeople
than, say, a gel cell would be. You would only need enough power to run the
receiver and display and only for a short time.

Are they happy if they see the display light up and hear static in the
speaker?

I'd suggest finding a battery clip for the required number of cells and only
filling it with batteries when requested. Use Powerpole connectors or
similar, not alligator clips and duct tape. Again, if you're performing a
task the TSA guy does himself, such as replacing batteries in his remote
control, he's more likely to accept it as innocuous. It's kind of a fine
line, because you want the bits to be recognized as harmless, but you also
don't want it to look like some high-school science project coming together,
either.

I would definitely recommend against taping them into a cylinder with wires
hanging out...

Cracking open a fresh pack of AAs is also a good way to ensure you're not
standing their with your (figuratively) pants down and dead batteries.

I would also recommend packing with the radio the owner's manual and a copy
of QST or CQ, especially if it has an ad featuring your radio. If the guy
has never heard of ham radio, you need something to back up your story.

73, kelly
ve4xt

-