[CQ-Contest] Contesting Technology - Phone Skimmer Nears Beta Test

Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest cq-contest at contesting.com
Sat Apr 4 09:08:37 EDT 2015

There are different ways to skimmer the cat and some of them do not require voice recognition technology. It is entirely possible that each transmitter and amplifier produce a unique RF fingerprint that can reliably be used to identify the station. Think of it as the equivalent of the call history feature in loggers.  The first time you hear a station you do the call sign decoding yourself and for the rest of the contest that unique fingerprint of what you just copied could be used to populate the bandmap and the call history. Same concept of course applies to CW and RTTY. As a by product you gain the opportunity to identify fake callers.

This of course is just an example. When you focus on the outcome rather than the means of accomplishing the outcome the number of solutions goes up.

Rudy N2WQ