[CQ-Contest] RTTY Skimmer Accuracy was Re: Contesting Technology - Phone Skimmer Nears Beta Test

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Apr 7 08:51:42 EDT 2015

Regarding Salvo's complaint, I'm not really surprised. What he's seeing
is a natural result of suddenly getting 100-200X as many RTTY spots as
were being delivered by RCK Skimmer, 3 KHz at a time.  The same
techniques as used on CW Skimmer spots, such as CT1BOH's skimquality
filters, need to be applied to clean up the spot stream. When in doubt,
choose an ARCluster V6 or VE7CC cluster node.  And,. of course, continue
spreading the gospel about tweaking the radio's frequency a little
before you call a clicked spot.

Please note, I'm not criticizing RCK Skimmer in any way. It is the RBN's
only source for non-RTTY digital spots, which I'm sure many users
appreciate.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,