[CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabrillo --...

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 11 13:55:25 EDT 2015

On Sat,4/11/2015 3:11 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> However ... fixing key clicks is a much subtler, and yet more
> difficult to fix problem than bad audio.

Not necessarily. Many of the worst offending rigs have adjustable rise
time. The fastest settings produce the worst clicks.

Also, we need to start considering rig cleanliness when making buying
decisions. According to ARRL Lab tests, the cleanest rigs are the K3 and
TS590D. The dirtiest are the Flex rigs, the IC7800, 7700, 7600, and the
FTDX5000, FTDX3000. Since those tests, Yaesu issued a firmware update
that significantly improved their keying, so that it's now on a par with
Icom and Flex. A few weeks ago, Flex issued a software/firmware fix that
improved their keying as well, but I haven't seen measurements that show
the degree of improvement.

We need to TELL manufacturers that we want clean signals from their
rigs, and that we will buy based on their performeance. Do that when
you're in a booth at Dayton or Visalia!

73, Jim K9YC