[CQ-Contest] Where are all the young radiosport folks?

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Thu Apr 23 15:32:03 EDT 2015

Hi Igor,

I (somewhat) agree.  However, no matter what country you live in, there are
HUGE multi-op stations around the world.   I bet many of us cut our teeth
operating at such club/privately owned stations (either by requirement or
by choice.)   So -- those young people who would like instant gratification
can easily achieve it by operating at such stations. The barrier for them
is really opportunity.

For many big stations, they only allow elite ops to run the big four
contests -- they are looking for wins.  However, there are many, many other
contest opportunities where new hams/budding contest ops should be brought
it.   Gamers, I think, would jump at the chance.  Gamers love complex
strategy and team building -- and they can learn the strategy of contesting
without having to know everything about the hobby.  You can work that in
later.

One example where the strategy of bringing in new guys  is at Dave, K1TTT's
superstation in WMA, USA.  Dave has an open door policy for contest ops,
and many new guys have started their (damn good) contest careers there.

If we want more young people in contesting, we need to provide more
opportunities to those who might be interested.  Even exposing non-ham
potential contesters would be a start.

73, Gerry W1VE