[CQ-Contest] Where have all the young ones gone?

AC0W ac0w at charter.net
Thu Apr 23 22:19:28 EDT 2015

Most of my co-workers and friends roughly 40 and under that learn of my
radiosport activities ask a lot of questions. Many appear very
interested. However at some point two questions tend to come up
especially after having operated a full weekend event. One question
after the weekend is "Did you win?" which then I have to explain I won't
know for several months. This makes them to start loose interest. The
second question is "When you win what do you win?" Win I explain a
certificate or plaque most respond they would never put that much effort
into something for just a piece of paper.

I don't have a solution to this. I just agree that we need to find a way
for prizes of more value than a plaque and instant results to become a
reality if contesting is to survive for many years.

Bill
AC0W