[CQ-Contest] Time to ban logging software and return to paper

Tom Francis w1tef at swsports.org
Mon Aug 3 11:41:10 EDT 2015

Stu,

I contribute to the SCP - no reason not to. But I don't use it. And as
I've said before,
I don't use logging programs unless I'm in an environment in which you
have to use
a logging program.  Nor do I use the various clusters, RBN or SO2R.

Otherwise, it's Old School all the way - paper logs, paper dupe sheets,
separate
multiplier lists and I usually create a Summary Sheet at the end so I
can track
what I actually did.

Then, I use a Text Editor and do the data entry thing for log
submission. Doesn't
take that long to do and once you get the format down, it's easy to fill
in the
blanks.  Haven't had a problem with a log yet.

I totally get the automated thing - it's advancing technology, easy
environment to
operate in, etc. To me, though, it takes the, I guess "essence" of the
contest away
from actually operating towards pushing buttons - doesn't appeal to me.

And I'm not against technology either - I use a voice recorder for
example and I
use a memory keyer for those automatic "599 SC" events. Everything else
though
is manual.

The Djinn is out of the bottle so to speak and it ain't going back in so
we have to
live with it and deal with what ever happens as a result.

Doesn't affect me though - as long as I can beat one or two others that
I am friendly
with and/or myself, I'm happy.

Tom, W1TEF