[CQ-Contest] Logging question

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Aug 9 22:30:05 EDT 2015

Do what you like with it. You know my policy. I have adopted it for the
reasons stated. :)

Some complain that LOTW doesn't work for most awards other than ARRL
awards. It COULD, if those administering those awards would do their
part to make that happen. I described one inexpensive method -- screen
prints of the LOTW confirmations. RSGB insists not only on paper cards
for IOTA, but that the card have the Island Name typeset onto the card.
There are well over 1,000 islands -- do the math to figure out what that
costs in postage at $3.50 per DX card.  I have nearly 500 islands
confirmed, but I've lost interest because of their unwillingness to
accept LOTW or eQSL.  And if that ain't enough, I would have to ship
that stack of paper cards to a checker almost 2,500 miles away!

If RSGB or DARC put up a system like LOTW, I would happily upload my log
to it. Or, even better, encourage ARRL to coordinate theirs with LOTW.

The simple fact is that ARRL had both the vision and the willingness to
build LOTW and offer it free of charge to all of the world's hams. The
money to do it comes from ARRL members. I don't agree with some things
ARRL does, but they got it right on this one, even if it has taken too
many years to do it. And I've also publicly criticized them for their
earlier policies for hams outside the US.  :)

73, Jim K9YC