[CQ-Contest] WAE QTC tactics

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Tue Aug 11 16:17:00 EDT 2015

This was my first serious try at WAE -- and as a M/S.

We tried not to send QTCs for a good part of the first day.  When the rate
slowed, why not?
Best peak 10m rate was over 200 for the first hour, but only 100 for the
entire hour -- which was my highest rate in the contest. As others have
said, QTC kills any meaningful rate measurement.

I tend to go fast in general -- was typically CQing at 38-40 wpm.  I was
surprised that quite a few did not ask for QRS on QTC -- in fact, did a
couple of QTCs at 42 wpm with no fills!!  Some fine ops in Europe!!
However, if the caller was sending slower, I would immediately QRS.

We ended up with two QTCs left.  I guess this is somewhat typical.

On the other end of the spectrum, one of my fellow ops, Andy, K2LE, won his
first WAE more than 60 years ago,
from Hungary.  Pretty impressive.

For a CW guy, loved this contest.

Only complaint: if you're from Europe and you want QTCs, and you come by my
frequency, dont send just  QTC? without a call. It makes no sense -- I MAY
have QTCs for you -- but I don't know if I don't have your call, and
therefore have to ask you for it.  <Callsign> QTC? would be a much better
way of asking.

73, Gerry W1VE
W1VE at K2LE/1 Operators K2LE, VE4EA, W1VE for WAEDC